Thursday, October 06, 2005

Last night I had the strangest dream. I sailed away to China, on a little rowboat to find ya…

Very lazy to blog about anything original so I will give you some random recycled rambling excerpts from the rubbish I wrote three years ago and that I recently rediscovered thanks to recovered hard disk. Wow… that must be a personal best record of number of words beginning with R in the same sentence! I must warn you… a lot of it is really random and makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking back then!

*****************************************

Sometimes you think about life back home and you wonder what you miss the most, apart from the people and dogs of course. It would be easy to say it was the food and the car and the entertainment, but I think it goes beyond that. It’s the smells… I step out on my balcony here (when it’s warm enough) and I only smell the city – dust, fumes, noise (yes, I can smell noise)! At home I’d often wake up to smells of people cooking… rich, spicy aromas. Sometimes I’d wake up to the wonderful smell of rain. And when I enter my house, it’s the smell of food and dogs… And my room, just the right amount of perfume in the air… it was perfectly balanced. If I smoked, the balance was destroyed and I worked painstakingly to restore it. It never failed to bring a smile to my face whenever I entered my room and caught a whiff of that familiarity…. like an old friend. And my parents’ room, so comforting… And my Dad’s aftershave… every single day I’d smell it in the living room, on the phone and in the car. And strangely enough the smells change as the seasons change. Summer has such a distinctive smell… it reminds me of something musty and old. Christmas leaves the smell of wine and cake in the air. When I first got here I imagined singing “I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams”. But now I will be home for Christmas and I can hardly wait.

Last night I had a strange dream… it was me arriving for the first time in a foreign country. However the trams were strangely elevated and you had to take an escalator to get to the tracks. Something or someone informed me it was San Francisco… There were strange people in the dream… people I once knew but didn’t seem to know anymore. There were strange happenings in the dream… things I can’t remember in the harsh daylight of reality, but I do know that everything happened on that strange elevated tram. I wonder if I even bought a ticket!

Saturday, 7 December 2002

Editorial Note: I remember now that I was very very drunk when I wrote this!

.............................................................................

My goodness, I can’t wait to see Holly’s adorable face and Chocolate’s adoring face!! I try so hard to be cosmopolitan and everything but it never really works… when you think about it! Let us be lovers – we’ll marry our fortunes together. It’s so strange sometimes, actually living with people! I am homeward bound and I can’t hardly believe it… everyone looks at being homeward bound as a bad thing. Sometimes it might as well have been the 70’s or 60’s in San Francisco… people are still the same. People are strange but they’re still a part of the 60’s and the 70’s and you don’t get much stranger than that!!

I mean, tonight I was watching Dawson’s Creek and I certainly didn’t have any part to play in any freaking creek – why is high school such an issue? It’s supposed to be the best years of your life but somehow or the other reality gets a grip and you have no choice but to follow the signs… Man, the days I live in are completely awesome.

.............................................................................

My life is flashing before my eyes… I didn’t have the high school years of Dawson’s Creek or the Wonder Year’s for that matter, but I still feel a part of something… strangely enough!!! I love you life… honestly!!

Tuesday, 8 April 2003

Sometimes I wonder about the things I write… Is it really normal for a 21 year old to have such a pessimistic outlook on life? And the constant reminiscing… isn’t that more in keeping with a 65 year old? Or have I already passed through the best years of my life? Life was a lazy race in the sun… How on earth did I get so jaded? There is one thing that’s improved over the years, and that’s my newly straightened hair… Well, not so new anymore but it still gives me such pleasure to look at it in the mirror that I’m convinced it’s going to be taken away from me.

My dreams haunt me terribly… Lately they’re very real and based on people in my life and sometimes I don’t like to wake up. And sometimes I wake up with a smile only to realise it was just a dream. Isn’t life cruel enough without giving us the option of fantasising other versions of it? Some days the lines between fantasy and reality are so blurred, I worry about myself!

.............................................................................

Its understandable why half the population in the world has experimented with drugs at some point in their lives… it’s the easiest form of escapism. Even now, just remembering it all has done enough for me. I am fine… I will be fine!

Friday, 25 April 2003

I think this is the first time I’ve woken up with the urge to write. It’s the dreams I tell you… I can’t escape them no matter how hard I try. I used to think myself lucky that I could actually remember my dreams every time I woke up, but now I wonder about that… The other urge I had this morning was to listen to ‘Wish You Were Here’… We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl… Have we found the same old fears? Wish you were here… Wish they were here. Maybe I should stop dwelling on all that is gone and focus more on what is to come! But, it just seems so bleak. Hmmmm, I wonder if I was so melancholy before I met Pink Floyd… I think I was… I think I was born this way. Maybe she’s born with it, maybe its Maybelline.

Editorial Note: That last line was an ad for Maybelline. I can’t remember if India had the same ad.

10 comments:

AB said...

Life was a lazy race in the sun. Nice. Very nice:) Your newly straightened hair -- has it stayed?

Pink said...

Your title.. I haven't heard that song in ages! Do you still have those dreams?

Rat said...

All I can say, is time really freakin flies doesnt it ??? Cant beleive you wrote that two years back.

Momma J said...

that song don't ask me why reminds of something very odd...it reminds me of M....and the best part is I don't even know him!!How strange ;)
And reading back all that u've written in the past seriously makes you wonder what you were thinking then!!!
But yes time is flying by...and I don't want to get any older....can anyone make it stop?? or fast forward to the time when i'm going to be surrounded by all my family, R and friends again?

the cowlick said...

Hi. I've changed my url to http://thecowlick.blogspot.com Please update it in your blogroll. Thanks

dee iyer said...

I had a problem with the originality too .. latest post on the ladder shows it .. :)

shakester said...

postcard, penny?
[no names and all...:)]

Archster said...

I wish i wrote stuff down from my earlier days!

Wonder Years... and what a theme song! :) I wish they would air Dawson's Creek and Felicity here. My cousins stopped sendin me episodes!

Penny Lane said...

AB: Not original but... that was a Roxette song :) Ummm, hasn't stayed stayed... Had to do it again but yeah, it lasts for almost a year each time!

Lavi: I know, I've been singing the bloody song in my head constantly since I started writing this. The dreams... I'm not sure...

Rat: Yeah, three actually

JR: Who the hell is M? I am trying very hard to work it out and can't...

The Cowlick: Ok :)

Ms. Iyer: Yeah, its pretty taxing to be original all of the time ;)

Akr: Do you guys have an annonymous type email address that I can email you guys at?

Archster: Mostly I cringe when I read stuff I wrote when I was younger, but sometimes its' quite funny :) Oh my god, I LOVED Felicity... I only started watching it from the third season or so and got very addicted and now they don't play it anymore! How hot is Ben??!!

shakester said...

yes penny dear we do- its on the blog:

dnablog[at]gmail[dot]com

jolly jolly