Sunday, October 23, 2005

Well it's too late, tonight, to drag the past out into the light

It’s been so long since I’ve written that suddenly this whole weekend the words have been tumbling out in my head and sometimes I really wish I had a Dictaphone or something so I could record these things I want to say as they come up in my head. Fuck, that was one hell of a long sentence.

So anyway, lots to tell. Work is really crap and I really want to get out of here but for now I’m just going to chill here because I’m going on holiday and what not. But like seriously, work is SOOOOO crap its not funny. Its just too complicated to get into right now so I’m just going to pretend that everything is hunky dory. And you know what, in my head, everything is really hunky dory because all I can think of is India… Madras… my home… my family… my friends… my dogs… it’s so close I can almost reach out and touch it. But of course I can’t… because there’s still a month and a half or so to get through… But then I think about it again and it’s like, what the fuck is 1.5 months in the greater scheme of things… because in my head, I’ve already planned the whole holiday… and in my head, everything is as it should be, as it used to be…

Last night I went to a friend’s house for a birthday party… and it was at his house, in his backyard… I can’t even remember how long it’s been since I’ve sat around in someone’s backyard… Backyards fucking ROCK! It was just so nice to sit there in someone’s honest to goodness house… normally it’s someone’s shitty rented apartment… Backyards remind me of house parties in Madras… how many have there been… my own house and its “front yard”… what tales it could tell… my terrace too… well if it came down to it, what tales my dogs could tell also… they’ve been there throughout… and I remember people trying to get my dogs stoned… poor babies… as if I hadn’t tried that already when I used to smoke in my bathroom before going to bed… they were just not into it… smart doggies!!

Today I went to a Cuban Jazz festival at a winery in Melbourne’s famous Yarra Valley… it was much fun, I say… there was dancing and bottles and bottles of wine… there were Salsa lessons that nobody followed really, and there were more bottles of wine… and there were grey skies and blue skies and raindrops on my face and the sun shining brightly… it was surreal... you know, that wine kinda lazy high...

It’s been a weekend of U2 and James Blunt… re-listening to U2 classics like “One” and “With or Without You” and discovering new songs like “Goodbye, My Lover” and “Tears and Rain”…

Well its too late, tonight, to drag the past out into the light… Its really quite something else to be going home again… its like a warm glow you can’t get away from really… Oh shit, working 10 hour days… oh wait, going home in a month and a half… its all OK…

19 comments:

Mint Chutney said...

*YEA! New post!*

OK...I totally know what you mean, except I AM HOME. I won't complain (too much) cos I literally roll out of bed and into my office. (LITERALLY).

We bought our house specifically because of the backyard.

P.S. I have to hear Honey and the Moon at least every other day. Thanks!

Rat said...

Yay shes back !!! What a pleasant surprise to see a post from you on this horrid monday morning.
And i cant wait for penny lane to come home.

Pink said...

hello! Ya all I'm thinking is 1.5 months left... 1.5 months left... yaay..can't wait! See you soonly.

Tartrazina said...

good to have you back lady! here's to more wine and U2 and James Blunt!

AB said...

Hmmm...penny's back!:-) The best part about any trip is looking forward to it. Believe me.

the cowlick said...

good to have you back!

A and A said...

welgom! welgom! habby to hab you bag! id iz bery bery nize to hab you bag! ok oi dink oi shud shad ub. *bighug* baaaie! :)

SV said...

Welcome back Penny Lane - and what a good way to make a comeback - with U2 songs. Super. Anyway, Enjai. Good to see you back.

sac said...

back like a good penny!

Ketchi said...

i went to this Salsa bar in London.. It was funny cos.. we were there eating & drinkin ... and there were these million couples all over the place getting salsa lessons..

People eating food and ogling at amateur salsa dancers..I found the concept a little weird.

Jax said...

Penny you're back!!:) 1.5 months will go by in the blink of an eye,
girl! Hang in there!

Incidentally, I am listening to James Blunt's "You're beautiful"
right now! I love the video as he takes off his clothes and jumps
into the ocean, saying "Its time to face the truth, that I'll never
be with you"

Archster said...

James Blunt da mann! because of his music and so much more.

And its neat that ur back.

|| sbk || said...

YAAY! Welcome back!!! Salsa is the only thing which would keep me away from the booze..I guess, that's how I became a salsa teacher :)

1.5 months to go...Yaay!

Momma J said...

Its so good to see you emerge from the muddy corporate river!!!
The Jazz festival at the vineyard i'm sure was fun...poor S, wasn't there enough wine for him? He seemed to be drinking every last drop :)
Ah well! you get to go home in a bit...it will be a merry time i'm sure!

shakester said...

good to have you back, we're back- and I so know the thing about wanting a dictaphone....

melon collie said...

im glad you dont call it chennai. just abt every true-blooded madras resident never does...

Casablanca said...

Are you going home after a long time? Have fun! Nothing like a holiday in India :)

Penny Lane said...

Naaz: That was so sweet :) Thanks!

Mint: Even I was obsessed with it when I first heard it... its such a cool song!

Rat: Hold on Rat, almost there ;)

Lavi: Hello to you too ;) Lets start counting down days

Tartrazina: It's fun to be back :)

Ab: I know... but most times the trip lives up to what I expected from it also

The Cowlick: Great to be back :)

Wishful Thinker: Do you have a cold, you poor thing ;)

Sharad: Well, I wasn't going to be called a quitter, now was I ;) And U2 rocks!

Sac: Haha... I am such a good Penny no?

Ketchi: Haha... come on now, don't pretend you weren't also ogling ;)

Jax: I haven't seen the video :( But my favourite line in the song is when he sings 'She could see from my face that I was fucking high'... the way he sings "fucking high" is SO cool!

Archster: Yeah, he is pretty cool... not bad looking either ;)

SBK: Wow... Salsa teacher huh? I guess you can give me some pointers since I didn't learn squat from that day :)

JR: I take it you saw the pictures :) And it would be a lot of merrier if you were also there.

Akr: Waiting for your exciting travel stories... Nothing exciting happened here while you were gone.

Mellon Collie: Hell yeah, its Madras... if you were born in Madras when Madras was Madras, its just wrong to call it anything else. And Madras sounds so nice... Chennai just sounds like a horrible place

Casablanca: Tell me about it :) Can't wait. It'll be a little over a year since I last went... not too long but still feels like forever!

Jax said...

Yeah Yeah I agree about the Fucking high bit! Suddenly it made the song a whole lot more appealing and less mushier!