Thursday, November 03, 2005

Living life the easy way... And sippin’ on Bacardi Rum

Oh joy… summer is almost here. We’re on Daylight Savings Time and that always puts me in a holiday mood since the sun doesn’t set until 9 pm or thereabouts and as a result I always feel like I have some few more hours in a day and take things much easier. We have also had two gloriously hot 30 degree plus days this week and it was simply blissful… especially since the first one was Tuesday and a holiday for the Melbourne Cup of all things (public holiday so we can all sit back and watch the horse races is something else, but I’m not complaining… its our first public holiday since JUNE), and the second one was yesterday and I just couldn’t wake up in the morning so took a sickie… Have I ever mentioned that I love to sleep and once I’m asleep I really really hate waking up but falling asleep is a big big problem for me these days… Ah well, we can talk about my insomnia another time. Lets get back to talking about alcohol instead…

So with spirits we also have the whiskeys and the bourbons and it seems that as people get older they’re drinking more of these but this is one kind of spirit I just can’t stand… not that I haven’t drunk this also when really desperate but its not something I particularly enjoy. I remember that when I first came to Australia I drank a lot of Jim Beam because S and my housemate at the time preferred it and we were poor students so we couldn’t always choose what we drank so I just went along with it and drank it and the thing about it is that it doesn’t really get me happy high… it just gets me into that mode where I know I’ve drunk a lot but can’t really feel the fun effects of it… like when you smoke too much and reach a kind of zone… So anyway, one night in particular stands out when we the three of us drank Jim Beam the whole night and then S passed out and my housemate and I continued and suddenly it was 7:00 in the morning so I thought, “oh, what the hell, let me just go for my 9:00 am class now instead of missing it’. So I went… hahaha… what fun it all was. And it wasn’t my fault my stupid course had a class EVERY Saturday… did they not take into account that people like to get smashed on a Friday night!! But yeah, the whiskeys and the bourbons are so not my thing…

So is Tequila my thing? I think not… although I have always had shitloads of fun every time I went the Tequila route. But its not something I would be up for every weekend… its more a once every four months experience. At the last one, three of us slammed almost two bottles over a few hours and I yelled at everyone at the party and told them they better come to my birthday party the following weekend and on the way home I used up all my credit calling Rat and Sista T and apparently all I kept saying was “Yeah maaan, I’m coming next month maaan… yeah maan” and then just kept laughing hysterically of course. Good times good times… :)

So before we get to the grand finale of my favourite type of alcohol ever (and which you should’ve guessed by now if you know me even a little or if you have been following the alcohol posts closely ;)) lets talk about sweet tasting and some not so sweet tasting liquors and such. I’ve always been a Baileys on the rocks fan for just a quiet dinner and night in type thing and I’m very attached to Kahlua for sentimental you me and you reasons. So guess what… it is also possible to get extremely fucking high on this deadly combo particularly if you are slamming them both together… So one sunny AFTERNOON, four people slammed a bottle of Baileys and Kahlua and guess what me and my friend slammed next… we finished a whole disgusting bottle of Sambucha… oh my god, that stuff tastes GROSS… but we slammed it… and I was very very high, I kid you not. We also went clubbing that night after all this and I had a good time dancing for a while and then went stumbling to find a bathroom and instead I went into some employee area and literally stumbled down a few steps and twisted my ankle and just lay there in a heap for some unknown period of time. I really have no clue how anyone found me or helped me out of there… the next thing I know I’m in the lounge next to the ladies bathroom and there’s an ice pack around my ankle and all the ladies who came in kept asking me if I was alright and if I wanted anything… so I bummed a couple of cigarettes and lay back on the couch with my leg lifted and smoked away until S found me (and I don’t really know how he found me… I was rather out of it to realise that people would be wondering where I was)… That was such a fun night… even the whole ankle experience… at the end of it all on the way home, in extreme drunkenness I started crying for my Mommy and its so funny that I started crying for my Mommy because my Mommy is not the ‘oh you poor thing, how did it happen’ kind of Mommy… she’s more the ‘serves you right… this is what you get for going out at all hours and drinking and what not’ kind of Mommy.

So this of course brings us to the end… the best kind of alcohol ever… (drum roll, please)… RUM… sweet smelling, molasses fermented rum… rowdy, ass-kicking, rum… Ah rum, how I love it. I’m very glad that I got off the vodka in the early days and switched to rum… what a whole new world it was… I’m at a loss for words right now… I should probably be under the influence of some rum to write more eloquently about it … my favourites are Old Monk (I hate Old Cask for some reason) and Bacardi Lemon (affectionately called lime juice)… but I also like plain ol’ Bacardi Superior and Bacardi Oro and Reserva… I’ve had some lethal Jamaican Coruba rum and I think after Old Monk, my favourite Indian rum is good ol’ Kodais (I don’t even know how its spelt… I am referring to the Bangalore one)… But has anyone tried Bacardi 151… I think its 60% alcohol or something and I almost threw up slamming half a shot and couldn’t even drink it when it was mixed with coke.

But I’ve drunk rum at the oddest of times and the oddest of places and it has always delivered a good time… I’ve drunk rum with coke and orange juice and sprite and pineapple juice and I’ve even drunk it with fucking water whenever we’ve run out of coke at a slumber parties at my house… Old Monk & water is just fucking foul by the way… we’ve finished a whole bottle of Bacardi at 5 am as we watched the sun rise and the train glide into Londha station one hazy December morning… … we’ve drunk it in paper cups in backseats of cars with no ice and warm coke and we’ve sipped it in style sitting in beach house gazebos… we’ve mixed it in 500ml bottles of coke to quickly slam on the road on the way to a party (the ever present “ready mix”) and we’ve drunk it in Pina Coladas and Mai Tais… I’ve finished a quart of rum in my room one night by myself and sneaked down and stole some of my Dad’s to keep the buzz going one jobless night.

Under the influence, I have professed my love and undying friendship to many a rowdy rum compatriot… I have danced till the cows came home and sung till I couldn’t sing another note… I have pretended to be sober with family and how many times have I driven home in such a state… I have puked my guts out and laughed my ass off… I have cried like the world was ending and I have eaten like there was no tomorrow… I have yelled at anyone who would listen (including my boss) about my current depressing work situation (this actually happened last Friday in a marathon Bacardi session – I think I had at least 12 drinks in total) and I have karaoke-d like it was going out of style… all in all, I really do love that little drink called rum. Remember that Bacardi ad with all the people chilling and drinking in the tropical island type place and on a yacht and such and singing this song…

Be what you want to be
Taking things the way they come
Living life the easy way
And sippin’ on Bacardi Rum

I used to love that ad before I started drinking and I’d actually forgotten all about it until now. There may not have been yachts or a tropical islands but we have had some very good times sippin’ on all sorts of rum… May the good times roll on… Cheers!

15 comments:

Pink said...

Cheers to Rum! Ya, I remember that Bacardi ad too... I quite liked it myself!

Momma J said...

my my quite the conoisseur de l'alcool!!
I hate daylight savings. Its freaking dark here at 5.00 PM!!!!! i hate it in the evenings but love it in the mornings when it gets nice and bright!!
Thanks for the sms!!
Cheers!!! may the good times roll...

AB said...

Hey you alcoholic. You do really live life bacardi size! Nowadays I get high on just two bottles of bacardi so unused am I to drinking since the past two years. Twelve drinks would just kill me I swear:-)

A and A said...

i will pray for your liver if you will pray for mine! salud! :)

the cowlick said...

way to go, penny lane! cheers to your spirit of a good time!

Jax said...

Bacardi breezers are the best to have those 2 minutes bottoms-up contests, without throwing up!

I totally hate whiskey.

Some women friends of mine like to embarass waiters by ordering our favorite "Old monk with large cock..er Coke!" :D

Tequila shots win hands down! Instant high.Instant friendly.

Su said...

Penny Lane,

Great post as usual . Take care of yourself...i actually freaked a bit to read about your swollen ankle incident :(

Rat said...

How on earth have I never heard that ankle story before man !!!!!

Its spelt Khodays by the way !! We'll pick up some on the way to Goa this time ;)

Nice post babe.

SV said...

I thought it was 'Nothing is as nice as finding paradise, and ..sipping on bacardi rum'

Then the law changed and these choots had to change it to 'listening to Bacardi Blast'

But what an awesome ad that was. Super music. Super girl in the ad, awesome dancing. Lovely stuff.

Mint Chutney said...

I hate daylights savings!! It's pitch black at like 2pm. And I'm putting a formal complaint in about the number of holidays the rest of the world gets.

You guys drank a whole bottle of Sambucha?? I had it once and I would place a bet that gasoline tastes better.

I'm not a drinker but at my brother-in-laws funeral (at the luncheon afterwards) my Irish in-laws heard I never had a shot before and proceeded to buy me tequila. I swear a piece of my spleen died that day.

sac said...

sambuca.. (deep shudder).. gawd man, even bloody saunf makes me pukey.. doing a shot of sambuca (or uzo or raki) is like offering my guts up to bacchus on a platter. gakk.

but tequila now.. hmm :)

shakester said...

not much of a rum person, but I once zapped a bottle of 80% (yes , 80) rum from somewhere in Europe. Incredibly smooth for how potent it was, but man was it potent!

shakester said...

and um, just had 6 B52s the other day.....sweet-uh!:)

Ketchi said...

Big big Bacardi fan myself !

And yes 151 is fire man!!...

Nice post.. entertaining all the way!

Its funny.. Ive reached a point where shots dont get me high anymore.. even raw bacardi shots. But 2 bottles of beer gets me happy! Have u ever felt that way ??

Penny Lane said...

Lavi: Cheers... start collecting the rum bottles now only for my visit ;)

JR: Why thank you ;) And you're welcome for the SMS :)

Ab: I'm sure it wouldn't... let's try if I ever visit Delhi again :)

Wishful Thinker: Prayers have been said already ;)

The Cowlick: Thanks :) I'm always up for having a good time

Jax: I HATE Bacardi Breezers... anything with fizz in it I can't handle... so I don't know how I handle cock...er, coke ;)

Sunanda: Thanks :) Really it was fine... just lost my balance I guess!

Rat: I'm pretty sure I've shared this tale with you.. it was 2 years ago... Thanks for listening :p

Sharad: You could be right... don't fully remember it! But didn't seem of the girls in those ads have hairy underarms? That's when the whole 'French women don't shave their underarms' rumour started, I think!

Mint: What an occassion to try your first shot at :p Anyway, come to Madras and we'll ply you with many! And I think Daylight Savings is different between the US and Australia... you guys have it in winter and we have it in summer? I'm very confused...

Sac: Yes... I also hate saunf... I only drank it because I was drunk already I feel... So when you going to be in Madras in December?

Naaz: ron viejo de caldas sounds quite delightful... how do you pick up all these names so quickly? And bring some back to Madras... but when will you be back?

Akr: Man, those 80% type things are scary... I think people die and shit.. like with pure absinthe and what not... B52s are nice... thats what I was drinking the night of the sprained ankle...

Ketchi: Cheers to Bacardi!! I know what you mean about not getting high anymore... sometimes I can drink shitloads and still not feel a thing (and thats so annoying) and other times I'll have two small drinks and be very happy high... It should continue to be so easy :)