Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun. Shine on you crazy diamond…

Yay… I have been tagged… just when I was beginning to doubt my popularity in blogworld with no one tagging me :-( But, I have to ask, why is it 8 things about oneself? I don’t know if I have that many things to say… or maybe I have more. Let’s see how it goes…

  1. I love my new phone so much I want to make babies with it. On Friday night, I was treating it like a real person and flipped it open every time anyone said anything exciting… and did I mention I can have any mp3 as my ring tone just by copying it over from the computer (look, these things have probably been possible for a long time with other phones but its my first time, ok?! Till now, I had to make do with Nokia standard ring tones… for some reason I couldn’t even download ring tones)!!! And, I have a guitar theme set and every time I flip it open and snap it shut, there’s a cool little guitar strum. Oh my god, my phone rocks (as does my boyfriend for getting it for me)!!
  2. I care about stray dogs with no one to love them a hell of a lot more than I care about homeless people.
  3. I am convinced I’m going to die of a slow, horrible cancer death one day but that doesn’t stop me from drinking, smoking cigarettes or smoking weed!! I have this great hope that a lot of people our generation have that someone somewhere will invent the miracle cure by the time all this shit goes down. I am also convinced I will have diabetes but that I can blame on heredity at least!!
  4. At least twice a year my parents ask me when I’m getting married so they can plan and give people overseas enough notice and I just tell them that I haven’t even thought about it and will make up my mind in a year or so… I’ve been doing this for at least two years now and they’re getting more and more paranoid and advising me about biological ticking fertility clocks and they gasp in horror when I say there’s certainly no way I’m having children until I’m 35. The thing is I’ve already decided the year I’m getting married and I’ve already told my family and friends overseas to keep the year free for a trip to India and I’ve even planned little details in my head like what music will play when I walk down the aisle and what the wedding invitation will look like and I’ve decided to have my first child when I’m 30… ok that’s only 5 years away… scratch that and make it 31. So I’m not sure why I want them to be the last to know like this?!
  5. I am the polar opposite of an atheist and fully believe in God and Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church and Heaven and Hell. Each day more (I am not sure if that phrase makes sense) that I live in sin sends me one step closer to Hell and sometimes it really keeps me up at night when I can’t get to sleep. And believe me it’s not as simple as saying Sorry to the priest at Confession.
  6. Earlier this year, we decided we’re moving back to India in 2 years. At the time, it seemed the most obvious decision and I didn’t even have to think about it – it just felt right. Ever since, I have been having such a good time in Australia I’ve started having all these doubts like will I find a good job with a kick ass salary, will I be able to work those long 10 hour days and 6 day weeks, will I even be able to communicate properly with this maid I want so desperately considering my really sad level of Tamil, etc. etc. I’m not changing my decision but making this kind of decision always opens your eyes to the little things you love so much about a place. When I knew I was leaving Madras, I fell so madly in love with it. I know I’m leaving Australia and I’m falling madly in love with Melbourne and am already looking forward to trips I’ll make here once every few years. The grass man… why does it have to always look greener when really it’s all the same kind of muddy brown??!!
  7. A certain addiction has bloomed very late in life for me… it’s called shopping! I’ve never been this way before. A huge aspect to this was money… I loved getting new things but if I knew I didn’t have money I wouldn’t even bother with window shopping. But ever since they started paying me oodles of cash at this new job, a long suffering caged animal has been set free and my mind says be still, my spending heart. After one such shopping expedition, Mr. Moonlight politely pointed out that I’d spent more in one afternoon than the average Indian worker makes in a year. This made me feel bad for about 2 seconds before I set out on my next romp – hey, I got the cash, I’m gonna spend it. The thing is though I’ve always had hoards and hoards of clothes – I just love clothes and because I have so many I don’t wear a particular item often and so it doesn’t get washed that many times a year and so I still have tops in mint condition from when I was 18 (and they do still fit!!). Clothes I know I will absolutely never wear again I donate but these 7 year old ones that still look good, I still wear now and then. But this addiction only became painfully apparent in the last two months when I couldn’t get my monthly clothes fix anymore because I had to save all this money for the outstanding payment on the house. So I avoid going into all clothes stores now – it’s really hard because I walk past a lot of them every day. And the other day I drove my parents to the mall and guess who ended up buying anything? I’ll give you a hint – it wasn’t the holidaymakers. But on this point, I have to say I’m not a shoe fanatic like most women. I have about 10 pairs that I use on a regular basis. Surely most women have at least 30? But anyway, I had to get my monthly fix from somewhere these last two month and it’s called furniture… muahahahahaha… unfortunately for poor Mr. Moonlight, he had to contribute towards this fix of mine too!
  8. When people say way to go on buying your first home so young, I kinda shrug and say, yeah well… But inside I am secretly more proud than I’ve ever been before of anything, that I owned my first home before I was 25. Now I’m just hoping I won’t have to sell it by the time I’m 26 the rate at which I’m spending :-)

So to pass on the tag, I tag Tartrazina, JR, Jay, DnA, AB, Jax, The Box and Wanderstruck… I hope at least two of you do it!

No comments: