Tuesday, August 16, 2005

And it’s your face I’m looking for on every street

Its that time again. When I begin to miss everything and everyone I know from home. I’m not sure what triggers it. I’m happy and busy and then suddenly Wham!, it hits me like a ton of bricks. And then for the umpteenth time I wonder if any of this is worth it. New cultures, new experiences, financial independence, whatever… I’m rather over that whole spiel.

This time, I think I can put my finger on what brought it on. A few things… my grandfather is very old and diabetic and recently suffered a fall and hasn’t been really getting better and every time I’ve called, after the conversation, I’ve felt like running into my room and burying myself into my quilt and somehow going back in time to when he was younger and healthier and could speak coherently. Poor old man, I really hope he gets better and that I’m able to see him again.

I haven’t heard from my Mom and Dad in a long while. There are people I know who speak to their parents (definitely their mothers) at least thrice a week. I probably speak to my parents once a month, and that’s enough for me. We’re not the ‘tell each other what we ate for lunch and dinner’ type. But they still push for the thrice a week quick emails to let them know I’m alive and alright. And normally, my Dad will email me like thrice before I finally reply and ask him to stop irritating me. But in the past three weeks, there’s only been a couple of hastily scribbled lines and I really miss hearing from them. I hate not knowing what’s going on. I know they’re real busy with my sister’s active lifestyle and my granddad being so ill and I’m also worried that they’re not emailing me because they don’t want to lie to me about how bad he really is.

Then there was an email from my 15 year old sister sister this weekend. Surprise, surprise indeed! She went on about high school and sports day and inter school cultural events and play practice and salsa lessons and teenage boys and I think to myself, great, I’m missing out on the best years of her life!

The following is an excerpt from her email. It was sent to me and my 16 year old cousin Mike who lives in the US. Isn’t it amazing how these under 18 year olds absolutely refuse to use capitalisation or punctuation of any sort. Most times I need to read these kids’ emails twice or thrice before I catch everything.

i miss the time we spent together in summer soooo much.. all the fun we had. sooo mike r'nt u doin anythin to try nd get me a schol??? cmon i know u miss me nd want me back ther nd also c if u can find a way for penny lane to come.. evrey once in a while i think bout that trip tp aussie when were all 18.. it'll be soooo much fun

Her current obsession is getting a scholarship to study in the US when she finishes high school. So again, I lose the opportunity to have a single family member anywhere near me. But she’s also trying to get me a job in the US so we can all be one big happy family there in a few years. I never ever thought I’d miss family the way I do currently but it is unbelievably depressing to not have a single family member in the country, let alone a single family friend. So I would welcome a move to the US to chill with my aunts and grandparents and cousins.

I promised her and Mike and Mark an awesome trip to Australia as soon as they were all 18 so I could really take them out and show them a good time and they could have their first drinks with me, their big sister. Although, come to think about it, they’ve already had their first drink with me. I got super wasted one night in May and they fully took advantage of my drunkenness that night and went and got themselves a silly wine cooler or something to share among themselves. M&M’s mom would just kill me (and them) if she ever found out! So anyway, at least I have that to look forward to… in about…. ummmm… three years?!!

And then finally there’s the friend of Madras. So there’s been lots of drinking and partying and what not but also too much of ‘Oh, remember when that happened? Remember that night at my house? Remember that trip to Bangalore? Man, he’ll never change’, etc. etc. I miss Madras and I miss my friends in Madras. What I would give for my little circle to live in the same place, doing the same silly things we did in days gone by?!

So, yes, home is a long way off. The people who make my home the warm haven it is are scattered all around the globe. There’s a scene from the movie Garden State where the main character talks about what its like to come back home. He says how you always imagine home a certain way in your head when you live away from home and then when you actually come back you realise that you’ve been holding on to something that just isn’t there anymore and “home” is now just a place that stores your old stuff. But you don’t really have a new home yet so you’re kinda stuck, lost, in limbo… until you have children of your own and home becomes a place that your children will always want to come back to because of the wonderful memories you create with them in your home.

I don’t know how much sense that made. Watch the movie. Its pretty funny.

My home isn’t the way I remember it when I return, but I still miss it and yearn for it everyday. And right now, I am in such a state of limbo that saying Boo might push me over the edge.

Where do we go? What do we do?

This too shall pass…

The sacred and profane
The pleasure and the pain
Somewhere your fingerprints remain concrete
And it’s your face I’m looking for on every street
---Dire Straits - On Every Street

17 comments:

shakester said...

nice post, penny....I've been out of the country for much shorter a time than you have of course, so I wouldn't probaly 'get' all you say. But I too left my parents house 7 years ago and have lived on my own for 5.
It is mostly the people who make thnigs familiar and lovable. Often people who move out of the country for a while say that they feel odd when they return because everyone else has beengoing on with their lives while you have been away (presumably in atime warp).

Am not so sure about that one actually. All these years on my own I have had tons of people who, living abroad, have been coming back for a few weeks- I don't think they find I have 'moved on' from them. yes things change, but heck what doesn't.
I guess I am rambling. I guess thats normal. But this is your blog not mine so I shall desisit now:)
And yes, 'this too shall pass'is a great line. Actually great when you can say it to someone, not so hgreat when it is being said to you.....

Rat said...

Awww ! Only 4 months more to coming home babe and you know its going to be worth it. Hugs.

Pink said...

Ya, four more months and you're home. Hope you're grandpa gets better.

Mint Chutney said...

Awww Penny. Before you know it, you'll be home and your parents will be annoying the heck out of you in person!

Nat said...

I'm closer to home than you are but I haven't been back properly since March. Just a stolen weekend or two. Am trying to go soon but if not will definitely be there the whole of December and Jan to hang out with you.
The countdown has begun!

AB said...

*Hugs* I guess it happens to all of us who live away from home. I feel the same way at times.

This time when my parents were here I realised that they are ageing. I felt a desperate sadness. And I started thinking that I should be with them. But I just can't reconcile myself to the fact that I could live with them under the same roof without tearing it down.

But I so feel that things do change when you are away from home and you can't even point fingers and say exactly what.

Vikram said...

don't worry.. old rockers are the only true ones! thanks for comin to my petition site :D

D said...

its funny how when you are "home" wherever that may be... you yearn to be away... wherever "away" is. and then once you are far away your ehart longs to be back... havent started my pangs yet... but that doesnt mean i do not sympathise with yours...

the cowlick said...

Yes, it can sometimes get excruciatingly lonely here. You just have to keep yourself busy to be sane. I came across your blog recently. Nice stuff :)

Jay said...

i know quite a lot of adults who dont like using caps or punctuations either its quite difficult to write like this actually i dont know how they do it

Penny Lane said...

Akr: Well I don't think people really 'move' on from you, but in the time you've been away, there are hundreds of new people who you never knew before and your old friends and these new friends have just done more stuff together in the time you've been away and quite naturally talk about stuff that you're not always clued into. Anyway, I'm not sure that made a lot of sense but in the end, your old friends are still there for you and you can be yourself with them in a way you can never be with your new friends. So here's to old friends....

Rat: Start organising the parties now only!

Lavi: He's actually getting worse but what to do...

Mint: I can hardly wait :)

Sista T: Yeah, start planning your schedule now only, please!

Ab: Yeah, I don't think I could ever live long term with my parents again. And about the changing, yeah, nothing has overtly changed and yet, if you feel things might've been very different if you had actually continued to live there and not move to another city/country.

Arbit Council: You're welcome :)

D: Tell me about it. I couldn't wait to go "away" when I was growing up and now I sit and miss home all the freaking time. How long have you guys been away?

The Cowlick: Thanks :) What does your nickname mean, by the way?

Jay: I know. I get very upset when people don't dot their i's and cross their t's.

shakester said...

cheers to good ('ol)friends. the best kind of toast....
and we have been 'away' about 6-7months (only!)

Anjali said...

hi penny. yes, sitting in a foreign land away from home can be ....well,lonely..sometimes. in fact that was one reason i ran away from one foreign country and now i'm back in india but at the other end of the country from where my parents stay. i stayed with them for a year after my stint abroad and let me tell you, i love my parents but i think you just grow too much in the interim to ever be able to live there permanently again. its life, and i've reconciled myself to it now.

i hope you have a lovely holiday in december.

Ketchi said...

Hey Penny.. I completly understand what your feelin man.

4 months will fly... I'm actually very excited abt December.. I can just imagine the million plans happenin every day!.. Lotsa people are comin down!

Rat,like penny said.. start the plannin!

Dr. Pissed said...

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.
Jai guru deva om
Nothing’s gonna change my world,
Nothing’s gonna change my world.


Peace, love and tranquility! We all could do with a little of that.

the cowlick said...

It means a lock of hair that never falls in line with the others. You must visit my blog.

Penny Lane said...

Akr: I ran back after my first 4 months and after that I couldn't go for a year and half!

Wanderstruck: Yeah, I know... it would be pretty funny living with them now. But at the same time, if I live in India I'd want to live in Madras and I guess I'm old enough to say to them 'Ok, now I'm going to live separately in the same city and I'll come over for dinner every other night'. That would be the life...

Ketchi: You know what, its actually only 3 months. We're already at September and can't count December... I'll be damn excited then only!

Dr. Pissed: You know that Jai Guru Deva Om line... I always thought he was singing something that sounded a lot like 'Jackaroo, baby' and thought it was another one of his lullabyes for his son(s)! Great song!

The Cowlick: I thought it meant that. Just checking... Will be visiting shortly!