Friday, August 05, 2005

A View From A Room

This is the view from my window at work. Isn’t is awesome?



I didn’t always have this view. The company itself resides in a dark depressing building next door with windows that don’t let any light in. But our department lucked out and moved last September to this building with the beautiful open plan floor and floor-to-ceiling windows with views of Albert Park and the St Kilda bay.

I was also really lucky to get this sweet spot next to the window. My boss was particularly happy with me at the time and told me I could choose any spot I wanted in the new place. I will not have this spot forever sadly. The company that we share the building with next door is moving out at the end of the year and then we will surely have to move back to the dreariness and dinginess that is next door. In winter months I never got to see the sun when I worked next door. I am already dreading our impending move even though it is months away.



Look, look… a ship!



In the first month of working here, the arrival of a ship in my little view of the bay was cause for much excitement. At other times, I simply like looking out at the sea. Canon aren’t kidding when they advertise that a new colour is created every second. I’ve watched the sea change from the lightest of blues to the darkest of greens, sometimes all in the same day. There are days when the rain causes the sea to completely disappear into a wall of white mist. There are days when the sea is a dull gun metal grey as it reflects the dark cloudy sky above it. And then there are the glorious warm and sunny days when the bay is crowded with tiny craft and the brilliantly coloured kites of kite surfers and sails of wind surfers vie for your attention and you wistfully look out at them in seconds snatched away from looking at your computer screen.

And its not just the bay. There are planes and helicopters constantly whizzing by. There are tram and road incidents to keep an eye out for. There are peaceful demonstrators and anarchists on megaphones. There are folks playing cricket in the grounds diagonally opposite to us. There’s the towering buildings of the city in the background and the Bolte Bridge on the right. At Grand Prix time, there’s sometimes a glimpse of a car or two as they practice around the Albert Park track and the noise from the cars is a beauty in itself. And my personal favourite, the rain. Always the rain, beating down on the glass. Rain that falls straight sometimes and slanting otherwise. Rain that reminds me of the monsoons in my own beloved land.

Ah view, I shall surely miss when we have to part ways. But until then, I shall do you full justice and keep on looking out…

13 comments:

Ketchi said...

Nice pics... It is so true that you find so many interesting things to distract you from work.Sometimes.. I just have to get distracted.. even if it means reading every mag on my table except my txt book for my exam.(I read a Femina mag cover to cover once!)

But your place seems like a genuine distraction.. what better pleasure in life than 'STARING OUT OF A WINDOW'... I just love it.!

Rat said...

Wow your so lucky. I wouldnt even know if it was raining outside.

Jay said...

From where I sit at work, I have a full, panoramic view of three Zimbabwean girls stuffing their faces with fried chicken.

Once the Conman said...

From where I sit at work, if you look outside the window you get tanned...

Hey Penny... listen...
how do you post pictures in the middle of the text...
I tried foing it once, but doesn't come out right...

Momma J said...

I should just be lucky I have my own cubicle!!!thinking about it there are no windows at all in my office other than the main door and in my boss' room!!! How sad/wierd is that???

Mint Chutney said...

My "office" (which in a previous life was our spare bedroom) overlooks the neighbor's back yard. Unfortunately no eye-candy... just 2 sweet but middle-aged gay men.

AB said...

The view from my working place -- a slate coloured building with monkeys running up and down.

Your view is a dream thing absolutely. Sitting and watching the sea while working! That would take away half of my work woes.

Penny Lane said...

Ketchi: Don't pretend... You must've secretly enjoyed reading the Femina cover to cover ;)

Rat: Yeah Rat... that's what it was like till I moved here.

Jay: Hahaha... Do they at least share that fried chicken with you?

Your Truly: Damn, I'd love to get tanned just by sitting at a window. With the photo thing, once you've uploaded the photos and written your text, select the photo and drag it down through the entry to where you want it to sit.

Jo: That's quite typical of corporate life. Us minions are just expected to suffer with nothing.

Mint: Except for the company at work, I'd LOVE to work from home. I'd wake up at noon, lounge around in my PJs and probably start working around 3 pm.

Broken Verses: Yeah, I'll try that. Never as good as the real thing though :(

AB: Monkeys running up and down? What on earth?

Pink said...

I was going to do a similar post with the view from MY window at work..but it's not half as nice as yours! Enjoy it while it lasts!!

AB said...

Yeah this place where I work is infested with our four-legged cousins:).

Penny Lane said...

Lavi: Oh please do it. I'd like to hear about your view!

AB: Ok! I can't remember the last time I saw a monkey just scampering about the place :)

shakester said...

wow what a view...thats a great space to have in office...

Penny Lane said...

Akr: Yeah, shall miss it terribly if I have to move!