Friday, August 12, 2005

Happy Birthday Snoop

Today my bestest guy friend turns 23 (incidentally, 23 is his favourite number as he’s the biggest Michael Jordon fan). He’s been bugging me for ages to write something about him on my blog. And that’s just one of the reasons why I love him. Because he is completely honest about being obsessed with himself. That’s not to say he doesn’t care about other people… He is a narcissist who is completely loyal to those that love him (and there are many who love him) and he’s also funny and sweet and thoughtful.

So yes, he’s abused my digital camera to the stage of having taken 66 different head shots of himself and I distinctly remember a time when he whacked me on my arms with a pool cue and when it comes to being a drama queen he is second to none and there are periods when I don’t hear from him for months on end and one time, he was being rude to me for no real reason and I asked him Why and he said because I can say whatever I want to you two since I don’t give a rat’s ass what you think (incidentally, the other person this was directed to was Rat). And he told me my blog template is really boring and that he wouldn't read my blog unless I changed my template. And even if EVERY single other person tells me I look hot in a certain photo, he tells me I look kinda mental from that angle.

But he’s also made me laugh until I could barely breathe. He’s taught me how to play pool like an ace (not that I’m all that good anymore). If ever I spoke to him after a terrible fight with S, I would be bawling my eyes out and he would say almost anything to get me to stop crying and get me to smile. When various boys were hitting on me and sending me pager messages (this was way back in 1999 when I thought I’d never have a mobile phone), he’d sometimes send me ‘suggestive’ messages pretending to be those boys and eventually every time I got a message I’d call him first to make sure it was a genuine message from the boy in question and not really from him… so silly he was. And before I had this text pager, I only had a numeric pager (god, how prehistoric was that) and all my friends had codes that meant they were just saying Hi (yeah, we were 17 and jobless and really lame!) and his code was 8:30 which was a joke about one of the boys hitting on me who wouldn’t say 8:30 like normal people but would say eight tharty. So anyway, once Snoop and I were talking and suddenly he said ‘Gotta go’ and hung up. And then I got a numeric page of 8:30 at exactly 8:30 pm. It was so silly but so sweet and he knew such things would make me laugh.

So anyway, there’s so much more to say about him. He’s such a good basketball player and such a good pool player. His dream is to watch Dr. Dre and/or Snoop Dogg live in concert.

Many a fun moment we have shared together. Many a drunk moment we have shared together. Many a stoned moment we have shared together. And many a comfortable moment we have shared together – the kind of comfort that comes only with the best of friends and the easiest of connections.

The picture below was taken the night before I left India for Australia in 2002. We haven’t been able to be there for each other’s birthdays since, but Snoop, please know that I will get extra drunk just for you tonight and will surely call you to wish you in that state. And I will bray that part in Hey Jude which always reminds me of you.

And please come to Australia to study so we can celebrate many more birthdays together. Please :)


15 comments:

Pink said...

So sweet!

Kunal Daswani said...

Thank you so much penny lane, I am so lucky to have a friend like you , and you picked the perfect day to feature me on your blog and the best topic ever.. ME! Thank you so much… I can’t begin to tell you how touched I am. Im really not good with words so im just goina say.. I love you so much and thank you for being one of the best freinds ever!

Rat said...

Hahah. I remember how he used to say that " I dont give a rats ass " Hes too cute.
Nicely written Penny. I had almost forgot so many of these things.

Nat said...

Yeah penny. Very nicely written. My post is really short but I mean all the things that you say.

Jay said...

Snoop, I have no idea who you are, but Happy Birthday. BTW, are you gay? Because uh, she's made you sound like one of us. But in a nice way! And that's a good thing! Honest!

Mint Chutney said...

LOL@Jay!

Happy Birthday Snoop!

AB said...

Happy birthday Snoop. Read about you in two blogs at least:)

Apoplexy said...

Not a bad blog.

Penny Lane said...

Lavi: Yeah, you know Snoop so you know everything I wrote is true!

Snoop: Awwww... well I hope your birthday was good. Um, I know I called you but don't fully remember the conversation :p

Rat: Yeah, how offensive no? To take the rat's name in vain!

Sista T: Yours was also very sweet!

Jay: Ok, PLEASE tell me in what way I made him sound gay?

Liquid: Yeah, Snoop is not your stereotpye boy at all! And my boyfriend's Indica just used to make strange noises all the time (and you could actually hear these noises over the LOUD engine)and the car was never good for any overtaking if you're into reckless driving ;)

Whatever: You also know Snoop, so you also know it was all true :)

Mint: Yeah, please ask Jay to fully explain his comment :)

Ab: Yeah, he's a popular one... this Snoop!

Apoplexy: Thanks

Jay said...

Let's see... a narcissistic, self-obsessed, vain (66 head shots?!), opinionated, sweet and funny drama queen who's best friend to a dozen girls, who played cute tricks and sat comfortably with you while all other guys were hitting on you...

Like I said, it's all good hun. It's all good.

Once the Conman said...

Hmm even I thought he was gay...
Anyway...
my comment was supposed to be... awww.... awwww...
I didn't know though there were cool people in Madras.
Strange.

Once the Conman said...

And Jay: What is "one of us"? haan? Why do you try and project as if gays are really really different than the rest and somein like, "I'm proud to be gay". Chill out man. It's just a preference. You don't have to shout it out. Loser.

Penny Lane said...

Jay: Well, he isn't gay, so that's that! But I've always wanted a gay best friend. Will you please be mine ;)

Penny Lane said...

Your Truly: You didn't know there were cool people in Madras? Well, you learn something new every day is what they say and your lesson for today is that there ARE indeed plenty of cool people in Madras and I've travelled the globe and the COOLEST people I know are still the ones I know in Madras.

And please refrain from being rude to other visitors on my blog. Jay is not a loser, he is one of the coolest bloggers I know! I think you're the one who needs to chill out!

Once the Conman said...

yeah whatever... please refrain from suggesting what I should and should not do. You're wasting your energy, really.