Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"Wednesdayitis"

They have this stupid “A Current Affair” thing after the news every evening. On this show they provide us average viewers with shocking revelations about how supermarkets are ripping us off by filling 50gm tins only with 49.99gms of content and sometimes they answer the questions that keep us all lying awake at night for hours on end, such as “Is butter really better than margarine” or “Is salt a silent killer”!!

So anyway, there was once a segment on a new phenomenon being noticed in workplaces all around Australia – “Mondayitis”!! Essentially there are a lot of employees who take Mondays off as sick days when all they are really suffering from is “Mondayitis”. I can’t remember if they ever provided a solution to the deadly disease of “Mondayitis” striking down able workers left, right and centre, but I don’t take Mondays off and I don’t take Fridays off. I believe that I am afflicted by “Tuesdayitis” and “Wednesdayitis”.

I hate Mondays like every other self-respecting employed individual but somehow I drag myself in and heave a huge sigh of relief when the hands hit 6:00 pm and I can get out of here.

Tuesday mornings are do or die for me. I have a history of sleeping in on Tuesday mornings and calling in late on Tuesdays more than any other day.

So if we have somehow gotten through Tuesday, the next milestone is Wednesday morning. As I am writing this at work, I have managed to survive another Wednesday morning.

Then we are left with Thursdays. Even on a Thursday morning I begin to perk up considerably and by a Thursday evening I’m positively jumping with excitement at the prospect of the impending weekend.

On Fridays we all heave a collective sigh of relief and say Thank God its Friday and really mean it. Fridays involve long lunches, lazy afternoons and social drinking evenings. I love Fridays.

Alas, it is still only Wednesday and Friday is TWO whole days away.

I suppose another thing is that lately I’ve been feeling the whole “Different day, same shit” thing. It is important to have something to look forward to all the time (for me, at least). There has to be some kind of reward so to speak or happy/exciting event in the offing to get me through the daily drudgery.

Last September there was all the excitement of becoming a permanent resident of Australia and my birthday was a lot of fun. I could also begin planning my trip to India after 1.5 fucking years.

October passed in a flurry of shopping and wedding madness (not mine).

November and December were a blur of Christmas parties, drinking, Christmas shopping, Christmas carols and did I mention, drinking.

Then we had the New Year and I had a fun trip to the Gold Coast the end of January

The end of February saw a good friend from Brisbane visiting as well as a honeymooning couple from Madras. That was an insane 10 days!

March and April were focussed on being terribly excited about my trip to the US (to see my grandparents after 6 fucking years) and shopping and some fun birthdays as well.

May was of course my trip to the US and simply one of the best times of my life in a really long time.

After I got back, I could still bask in the glow of an awesome holiday for a while. There were pictures to look at over and over again, and all the fruits of my shopping to be worn, displayed, etc., I continued making drunk phone calls to my cousins and sister for a while even, just so they wouldn’t forget the madness of me.

But now the glow is wearing off big-time and there is nothing to look forward to in the next couple of months.

The cold doesn’t help of course. At least if it snowed, we could engage in such fun activities as building snowmen and having snowball fights. As it stands, the city taunts us with cold wind and rain and tells us to have a fucking blast with these elements alone!! Bah humbug is all I can say back!

10 comments:

Pink said...

Me first, yaay! (Why does everybody do that?!) Anyway, gargled tons with salt water and I'm back at work today, not very bright and shiny though. Well atleast I missed a whole day this week... had the Tuesdayitis.. what can I say!

Jax said...

I know now what Wednesdayitis feels like. I am going through my mid-week crisis! Weekend seems equally far back in the past and in the future. I need my coffee!!

Ketchi said...

Do any of you have 'Everydayitis'..or am I the only one ?

Solution:
Get a bunch of South Park episodes and warm your backside on the couch !!..

Rat said...

damn you, atleast you have drinks on fridays at work !!

Thetis said...

My Wednesdayitis.. down with cold, no office.. wish i had a current 'affair'.. could do with some social drinking or any drinking for that matter..

Nat said...

I have 'Morningitis'. Doesn't matter what day of the week it is, if i have to wake up before 10 am (and I usually do) its bad!!!!!
(Does that mean I have 'Everydayitis' and I'm just calling it by a different name?)

Penny Lane said...

Lavi: Haha, yeah, I don't know why. I guess because there are so many people blogging that it's a rare thing to be the first to comment. Good, you're better but you should've just taken the whole week off!

Jax: Good news... its Thursday so weekend is closer!

Ketchi: I do not have the luxury of warming my backside on the couch :(

Rat: Not any more man... lately we've been left to our own devices. That's why we joined the dreaded Social Club!

Thetis: Not good about the cold, damn good about no office, and good luck with finding a current 'affair'

Neha: I think if I REALLY had to they'd let me work from home sometimes... but I know exactly how much work I'll be doing from home, so never mind

Liquid sunshine: Since I have to cook to survive, I don't find it all that theraputic. Having said that, I did cook last night and more than the cooking, I enjoy the eating part

Sista T: Interesting point of debate! Shall send to "A Current Affair" for further analysis

Bride: Sorry, done it already ;) My Quiz

Broken Verses: As I said to Rat, not any more :( But for many months we did!!

Jay said...

I like Thursdays a lot. The excitement of the upcoming weekend is usually enough to carry me through the day.

At the moment, we're having our summer, so there's still a semi-holiday spirit in the air (despite the recent events). But come September, it'll just be awful. The run-up to Christmas is fun, but the actual holiday itself is a bloody anti-climax.

sameer said...

i read your post and saw this on overheardinnewyork.com

Woman on cell: I'm so, like, a vegetarian, for real you know? But only, like, on Wednesdays.

--Williamsburg

Penny Lane said...

Naaz: I feel your pain! I wake up to maybe 5 warm mornings a year :(

Jay: I wish it was summer here! I know what you mean about the run-up to Christmas being exciting but somehow I always enjoy Christmas... I find New Years to be a major anti-climax!

Broken Verses: I love The Doors movie and everytime I watch the end, I promise myself I will go visit his grave one day

Liquid Sunshine: I CANNOT window shop. It drives me mad. So if I don't have money, I just don't go anywhere near a shop that might even be remotely tempting.

Kafka: Hahaha... it's sorta like the whole Catholics giving up non-veg food before Easter thing but fish is allowed because it is somehow less non-vegetarian than everything else ??!!