Monday, June 20, 2005

Lord Byron - When We Two Parted

In high school, I think I read a snippet of this poem in some Sweet Valley book believe it or not, and I really liked it and somehow found it in those pre-Google days in a dusty collection of Lord Byron poems in the school library... heady days indeed, those pre-Google ones... it was incredibly satisfying to find what you wanted because of all the effort involved in searching... But hey, I am also incredibly glad that I didn't have to do too much research in those days because Google is now my best friend!

So, quite unbidden, a line from this poem came to mind the other day and I cynically smiled to myself as I realised that finally I had an episode in my life that matched the poem (hmmm, maybe not as unbidden as I originally thought)... So I immediately googled it (but what else) and here it is again... less dusty, less effort, same old Lord Byron!

When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken-hearted
To sever for years,
Pale grew thy cheek, and cold,
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this.

The dew of the morning
Sunk chill on my brow--
It felt like the warning
Of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken,
And light is thy fame:
I hear thy name spoken,
And share in its shame.

They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o'er me--
Why wert thou so dear?
They knew not I knew thee,
Who knew thee too well:
Long, long, shall I rue thee,
Too deeply to tell.

In secret we met--
In silence I grieve,
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?
With silence and tears.

2 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I don't think any man has EVER quoted poetry to me... so yeah, when you find one do let me know so I know they exist at least...

Hernan said...

What do you think of the Poem "Darkness" of Byron? I have it published in my site http://listao.blogspot.com
I would like to hear your oppinion.
Thanks
HernĂ¡n