Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Of Hotel Rooms, Bathrobes & Business Plans

How lame… I am in party town Sydney for one night on work and what am I doing with myself but sitting in a bathrobe in my hotel room and watching The OC… even lamer, I already watched this episode of The OC when I was in the US… oh, how I wish I was there again watching The OC with the kids, vegetating in the basement fighting for space on the couch, arguing about who’s hot and who’s not… but anyway, I am not there so let’s move on! Getting back to lameness… I actually prefer chilling by myself in my hotel room over the option of calling some random acquaintance to show me the town… If my best friend or a close friend or even someone I vaguely hung out with at some point in Madras lived here, I wouldn’t mind catching up with them. But there is no one… so instead I spent the evening with myself. It was very enjoyable I might add… I’m quite happy to entertain myself… I did it for eight years or whatever when I was growing up and had no one to play with around my neighbourhood and until I started being able to meet my friends from school more often… Someone like poor S on the other hand would just be miserable on his own… he like thrives on conversation or something… So anyway, I finally got here to my hotel after a long long day (woke up at 5:45 am… its criminal I tell ya) and ran myself a bath, poured myself a glass of wine, hooked up my laptop in the bathroom, switched on iTunes and just slipped away… I was just thinking how we are never truly alone these days because we always have something with us that reminds us of who we are and who we love… well, I guess in the old days there’d be a letter or a lock of hair or a faded photograph… but today its all so much more accessible thanks to our mobile phones and laptops and palm pilots and iPods… whenever I leave Madras, while I’m waiting at the airport I open up my mobile phone inbox and re-read all the messages I received while I was there… some of them are pretty random and some are them are really sweet because they say things like ‘it’s so awesome that you’re back’ or ‘it sucks that you have to leave’… whenever I’ve left Madras so far I haven’t had a camera phone but now I do so, Yay, this time I’ll have pictures of my favourite people to look at too… that’s all I did in the US whilst waiting at the airports… looked at the photos of some other favourite people over and over again… So anyway, my point was that even though I was alone this evening, I am not really alone because I have all these messages and photos to look at on my phone and all these photos to look at on my laptop and all my music to listen to…

I'm down half a bottle of wine now and I must be really tired because it hasn't even come close to hitting me so I think I will just go to bed now. What I really want now is a bloody cigarette... like an idiot, I forgot to bring any and the prospect of going out into the cold scary night to get some is not overly exciting... I wish I could just dial-a-smoke... I remember that the most talked about business plans anyone ever came up with in Madras were the dial-a-boom ones. There were promotional strategies, quality assurance mechanisms, procurement and distribution plans, branding exercises on whether dial-a-boom, dial-a-spliff, or dial-a-joint sounded better... Fun times! Sadly no one's dial-a-boom enterprise took off... we were probably too stoned to really do anything about it.

So anyway, it was good to be by myself tonight... no one to complain about high I keep the temperature, no one to tell what to watch on TV (not that anyone does that really, I pretty much rule the remote at home)... but yeah, it was nice... even if I did spend a lot of the evening looking at photos and things that will never leave me alone ;)

No comments: