Monday, September 05, 2005

Ok, its been very long and I don’t really feel like *completing* the snowboarding saga. Just some quick bullet points on the rest:

  • The Saturday afternoon was as tiring as the morning
  • The instructor tried teaching us how to snowboard backwards although why she thought we would be able to do this when we could barely snowboard forwards, I don’t know. Suffice to say, I tried this twice and took two terrible tumbles and decided that I would stick with the forward henceforth
  • The instructor also tried to get us on this strange thing called the Poma lift which pulls you upslope by you holding on to a cable attached to this circular thing. Now for skiers, it didn’t seem so bad… they held that circular thing between their legs and it just pulled them up very gracefully. For snowboarders, you hold it under your arm and what happens is the thing actually drags you but your snowboard still doesn’t move so your body gets pulled but your feet don’t move and guess what happens next… that’s right, you fall on your fucking face! Again, suffice to say, two attempts at this has turned me off “pomas” for life!
  • The instructor made us feel very cool when she said ‘Now remember, snowboarding is an EXTREME sport’!
  • The instructor taught us how to point our arms to change direction and slow down, etc. and much fun was made of my earnest Staying Alive attempts… all I can say is, it fucking worked!
  • After the lesson (and a brief 4 pm snack which served as lunch) we bravely attempted the mountain again. This time, my pointing helped me have a really really good run for about 5 secs and of course I got very excited and thought, ‘Ha, there’s really nothing much to this snowboarding business’ and then of course, everything came crashing down as usual as I totally got confused about which arm to point in which direction. B, who watched the entire debacle from the ski lift had much to say about this to everyone else.
  • Halfway down the mountain, I decided to quit for the day. By now my head was hurting so much, I felt sure some brain damage must have been sustained. So I unstrapped my feet and dragged the snowboard behind me much like taking my dog for a walk and wouldn’t you know it, I slipped even when off the snowboard as it somehow sneaked up under my feet. Next thing I know, I’m on my ass again and I’ve let go of the damn board and it goes hurtling down the mountain at breakneck speed. Everyone around yelled ‘Incoming’ and luckily no one got hit. So that was that…
  • Sunday we tried skiing and that was slightly calmer. At least I could glide off the freaking lift without losing my balance and falling on my ass. But there were still moments… much easier to break a bone whilst skiing I feel… legs splayed in opposite directions, skis stuck in the snow, etc. etc. Anyway, managed to have a couple of successful runs (fell only once or twice) so there is hope yet… but I think I will give snowboarding another go when I do return to the snow.

And the beach is still my holiday destination of choice, but the snow makes a good winter getaway.

Last week, I went to Sydney twice on freaking work. The first time was on Monday morning, so that was a real blast… waking up at 5 am after two days of the most physical activity I’ve undertaken in many months… I could barely lift my laptop into the overhead compartment. The rest of the week was a blur and then I went to Sydney AGAIN on Friday morning. Whoever said corporate jet setting would be much fun and highly glamorous has got it all wrong. Its just tiring and boring and plays havoc with my ear pressure. I’ve now been to Sydney four times on work and still haven’t seen anything except the Opera House or done anything except eat at McDonald’s (Sydneysiders are not that keen on Subway, I’ve noticed – there are never any around)!

The pic below I took from my hotel room when I last stayed in Sydney a few months ago!



Ok, its Monday evening and I am forcing myself to go sign up at the gym next door. I have three months to get fit before Christmas and my visit to India where I can say ‘Up Yours’ to everyone who made fun of the weight I’d put on the last time I visited. Also, my tummy must be super toned for Neha’s wedding (of Neha C fame) as I am going to be one of her bridesmaids. Yay… I can’t wait (for the wedding, I mean, not the gym)!

12 comments:

D said...

the skiing / snow boarding trip sounds like fun... despite your many accidents involving your behind :)
best of luck with the gym... i started some sort of "exercise" regime a few days back and i feel highly unfit and flabby!!!

Rat said...

Please dont lose too much weight then I will be the Fat bridesmaid !!

Nat said...

hahaah. After that description I'm not attempting skiing or snow boarding any time soon. Could possibly be a bigger spaz!

Pink said...

So you are all gonna be all slim for Neha's wedding... let's hope R marries the right woman!!! Ok, joke, Neha!!

Also, I know someone who's not going to mind all the weight she might have during Neha's wedding --*shoots a look at Sista*! :)

@Rat: you're in with the programme, you'll be sexy Rat, i'm sure!

shakester said...

listen, the snow sounds great and all. but just the drive there (with its accessories) was awesome for me...:)

Dr. Pissed said...

Want to trade places?

Mint Chutney said...

People think business trips are fun. Mine are airport, hotel, office, airport, home. At least I get caught up on TV watching when I'm away from home.

Monicker said...

Business trips are depressing. Nothing more depressing than the immaculately tidy hotel room and TV in the evening.

But skiiing seems fun. You seem to have an exciting life. But the grass is always greener on the other side i guess..

Momma J said...

God even after all the horror stories I still can't wait to snowboard...but i think i'd much rather ski first. Had a brilliant weekend...will send you an e-mail update soonly.....and you dont have to try that much harder...you've already lost tonnes of weight and you look justt very hot ;) This losing weight thing is just too much of a pain in the ass...the more I think of losing weght the more I over eat...so i've just given up on that...atleast temporarily!! The wedding sounds like fun....with all of you being bridesmaids and all. too hep.

the cowlick said...

Your snow trip sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I just HAVE to go next year!
And yeah, that was Echuca.. I just thought the paintballs were tooooo expensive.. it spoils the fun. If I had like a 1000 bucks to spare, I'd have gone crazy!
BTW.. don't tell any Melbournian this.. but I LOVE Sydney! Been there thrice.. and the traffic, the crowds.. reminds me of home!

Penny Lane said...

Neha: What exactly is that supposed to mean?

D: Today is the day I join! Good you started some sort of exercise regime... I'm always so lazy!

Rat: Excuse me... you're gymming already!

Sista T: Possibly... but possibly not also ;)

Lavi: Here's hoping we're all slim women by then

Akr: I know... the journeys are sometimes as fun as the holiday itself!

Dr. Pissed: Not right now, no :p

Mint: I'm not sure if I prefer day trips or overnighters... with the overnighter I always have to pack my 101 toileteries and that's such a pain!

Monicker: I actually love the peace of the hotel room and not having to worry about cleaning it up! And my life is not really that exciting :p What's yours like?

Jo: Yeah, please mail! And even I'm sick of trying to lose weight... at least if I'm working out I won't feel bad about stuffing my face with all the wrong kinds of food!

Cowlick: You traitor... how could you like Sydney more than Melbourne? But I guess Melbourne is nice and quiet and peaceful like Madras and that's why I like it here!

the cowlick said...

aah.. there you go.. you're from Madras and I'm from Delhi.. no wonder